Dienstag, 20. Juli 2010

Johan Andersson

Oil on canvas

Oil on canvas 110x90cm

"My portraits are a reflection of myself and visions which I get. My emotions are revealed in the eyes of the sitter and the techniques I employ compliment the honest moment which I aim to capture. I explore the theme of beauty and vulnerability in youth and I challenge certain ideas by distorting the figure, sometimes using turpentine to disrupt the surface of paint.

I am diversely spontaneous in the way I work the paint. I don't see any limits to painting nor do I limit myself as an artist. The portraits are full of intrigue in their subtle contradictions, giving them an ambiguous and awkward underlying tension. My work also challenges perceptions of beauty and identity. They lie somewhere in between dream and reality and they play with preconceptions, causing conflict between mind and reality thus creating a cognitive dissonance.

My faith as a Christian is key to my practice and drives me to travel and see different cultures and experience new things, giving me inspiration and growth. There is an intimacy between the portrait and the viewer in my work and I want to challenge what it means to be human, appreciate and be in awe of the subjects which I have chosen. Their diversity makes it fascinating to look at and be connected to them. I want the viewer to come as close as they possibly can to the portrait and for the portraits to be exposed."

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen